Beautifully designed furniture made from solid wood such as oak, pine, or mahogany can be a decent and lovely addition to the decor for your home. Wood furniture has been an astonishing form of art for centuries but it’s becoming more popular in few recent years. Statistics show that wood furniture has had more sales since 2017. Wood furniture not just looks decent and beautiful, but it is also durable. They just need some regular cleaning and maintenance and they can last longer without showing any signs of wear and tear.
Wood furniture is not just a long-term investment but also a responsibility. If you want that your wood furniture remains in like-new condition, then you have to be very careful and attentive towards cleaning and maintenance. Unfortunately, people think that only dusting is good enough, and proper cleaning and maintenance are very difficult and time-consuming. But, here is good news if you think so, once you know how to do proper cleaning of wood furniture, you will be happy and can do it easily regularly without investing much time and effort by just adopting the following instructions.
The Basics of Cleaning Wood Furniture
- Whenever you buy new furniture, read your manufacturer’s guidebook of cleaning before using any commercial cleaners.
- Many people are very quick to reach for commercial cleaners for cleaning their wood furniture. Unfortunately, these commercial cleaners could do more harm than good if you do not give proper attention to their chemical ingredients. Each type of polisher or cleaner has different types of chemicals, which might not be suitable for your furniture. So, try to minimize chemical cleaning materials while cleaning wood furniture.
- Don’t ever try all-purpose cleaners on your wood furniture.
How to Clean Wood Furniture with Right Tools
Dusting is required to do regularly to keep your furniture in prime condition. Statistics show that an average home accumulates over 40 pounds of dust per year. This dust can cause discoloration of wooden furniture over time, plus it looks so grungy. Using wrong products and tools can not just cause severe damage to your furniture but also are ineffective to clean and ends up making the finish sticky.
There are some methods you can use to keep your wooden furniture cleaner and sleeker.
Method 1: Cleaning With Little Water
This is one of the simplest methods to clean wooden furniture.
- Microfiber cloths
- A little water
Steps of Cleaning;
1. For regular cleaning, to get rid of dust, fingerprints, or smears, take a dry microfiber cloth and wipe down your wooden furniture.
2. If you found any stains, sticky spots, or fingerprints, damp microfiber cloth and ring out as much water as you can. Use this dampen microfiber cloth to wipe down the surfaces of furniture and apply a little pressure until the stain is removed.
Note: Don’t use a wet cloth and make sure it’s only damp because the wet cloth can pretty damage the furniture and even create water stains.
Method 2: Cleaning With Vinegar
For more sticky grimes you can use white vinegar for cleaning wooden furniture.
- A microfiber cloth
- White vinegar
1. Wipe down the furniture with a damp cloth to remove dust and dirt from the furniture.
2. Take three teaspoons of white vinegar and mix it with a cup of water.
3. Damp a microfiber cloth with this mixture.
4. Before cleaning the whole furniture, test a little area that is not easily seen. If this does not affect the tested area, you can proceed with cleaning the whole furniture.
Method 3: Mineral Spirit Cleaner
In more extreme situations, you can use mineral spirits for better results.
- A microfiber cloth
- Mineral spirit cleaner
1. Use a moistened cloth to wipe down any dust particles.
2. Take a microfiber cloth and dampen it with mineral spirit cleaner.
3. To make sure that it’s safe for your furniture, you can test it on a hidden area, if nothing negative happened, then wipe down the surfaces of the whole furniture.
4. Finish by wiping down with a clean damp cloth to remove any residue or stains.
Apply Furniture Wax as Necessary
For better glossy furniture, you can use furniture wax. It will create a protective finish on the exterior and will protect your furniture from any scratches or nicks.
- Before applying any wax, read the instructions from your furniture manufacturer.
- For the best application of wax, use a cheesecloth that is porous for an even application.
- Apply the wax onto the cheesecloth and rub this cloth onto the surface of the furniture in the direction of the wooden grain.
- Once the surface is fully saturated, take a clean microfiber cloth to wipe away any excess material.
To properly maintain your wooden furniture, you should take the following preventative measures.
- Always place coasters under cups or glasses, whether they are cold or hot.
- Wipe up the spills or stains immediately.
- Use trivets or place-mats when serving hot meals.
Make a good cleaning routine to protect your furniture from dust, dirt, and grime. If you don’t have time to deep clean on a monthly or semi-annual basis, you can hire professional cleaning companies, because they know how to clean and maintain them in a better way.